XAMPP: Install WordPress on local computer to edit theme, test plugins etc
In my point of view WordPress is best cms to power your blog. In wordpress blog themes and plugins have more importance. We need to test and modify themes several times to give better look to your blog. Doing all this online is little bit time consuming and hectic.
XAMMP is acts as host sever on local computer which allow us to install wordpress blog on your computer. All we need is XAMMP, WordPress , your favorite theme and plugins to manage your blog.
Let’s see how to install WordPress on your local computer
I will suggest to use XAMMP Lite (small edition of XAMPP)
- Download is XAMMP lite and run exe file and select directory and installed with one click.
- Download WordPress and extract zip file to new folder “Wordpress” (give any name) and place this wordpress copy in installed XAMMP “htdocs” folder. Default path is C:\xampplite\htdocs\wordpress.
- Launch XAMMP control panel to start “Apache” and “MySql” services.
- Go to your browser and type http://localhost , you will see the home page of XAMMP where you have to select the language option (for ex. English)
- Go to PhpMyAdmin to create database, give database name like “mydatabase” and select option “utf8_unicaode_ci”, press “create” button to create database
- Under the folder WordPress rename file “wp-config-sample.php” to “wp-config.php”, open this file in Notepad to write database name like “mydatabse” (database name given by you in PhpMyadmin), databse username is “root” by default and no database password so left it blank (like this “ ”).
- Now go to browser to setup your blog, type http://localhost/wordpress , fill the information like site title, username, password, e-mail id and press install WordPress to start your website/blog on your local computer.
Now you are ready to test and modify your favorite theme, test plugins and also you can post the articles to check their appearance.
XAMMP is really useful for me to manage my blog and keep my database backup.